Fashion FORWARD with Elyse Walker

- By Leena Sanzgiri - 

If the accomplished stars of the modern fashion world indeed wore the proverbial many hats, then Elyse Walker’s enviable closet would likely be overflowing with head-wear. As a stylist, entrepreneur, and all around icon, she has seamlessly conquered the current golden trifecta of the industry—luxury, celebrity, and e-commerce. She is not only the founder of her tremendously successful namesake boutique in the Pacific Palisades, but she is also the fashion director of Forward by elyse walker , the sister site of Revolve Clothing, as well as the go-to stylist for some of Hollywood’s most powerful leading ladies.  Not surprisingly, she has the focused clarity on style and trends that is crucial to becoming a juggernaut of the industry. We were lucky to catch up with her to gauge her perspective on fashion today and what we should be wearing for Fall.

What is most exciting to you for the upcoming season?

It is literally unbelievable how designers—young ones especially—are innovating. Fabrics were really the standout this season. Coming out of the recent fascination for neons in fashion, designers took things to another level for a more mature customer, translating all of that color into sophisticated patterns. The Proenza Schouler collection was just incredible—they keep getting better and better. Peter Pilotto also did a great job. And Rodarte? The black and red sequined gown absolutely blew me away. The whole collection did, really.

What accessories are we buying this spring and fall?

There’s a Givenchy clutch that sold out right away—it’s a wonderful buy if you can find it. Chloe bags were oversized, signaling a new trend that is sure to be a hit. Reed Krakoff had bags of fantastic craftsmanship and quality. The textures and colors used on the handbags in general this season were just plain stunning. Nothing can parallel Isabel Marant boots, and I’ll also be ready to get in line for the Valentino black and silver studded rock-and-roll boots that will come out in pre-fall.

What’s your key to personal style?

It’s always about confidence. My everyday look revolves around skinny Acne jeans or Current/Elliott leather leggings, James Perse long tanks, and cropped leather blazers worn with Alaia boots and a Balenciaga Weekender. But for dressing up, it’s like I tell my kids—you’re going to make mistakes, so you should experiment. I’ll hit the nail on the head 90% of the time with my outfits and learn from the other 10%.

Any advice on fashion ‘don’ts’?

One should never wear a designer look head-to-toe. Flattery always comes first—I am a stickler for proportions. A skinny pant should be worn with something more blousy, and vice versa. You shouldn’t get carried away with your vision. A woman needs to be comfortable to look her best, and I don’t mean physically—her outfit should reflect and convey her true personality…and she should always shop with people who are honest with her.

-

Follow us on Bloglovin’

3 Comments

  • March 27, 2012

    Anonymous

    Love this! Elyse Walker is a style Icon!

  • March 28, 2012

    Anonymous

    great advice :)

  • August 14, 2012

    URL

    … [Trackback]…

    [...] Read More here: oliviapalermo.com/elyse-walker/ [...]…

You must be logged in to post a comment