-By Teresa Greenfeld-
THE RED PANT:
For many, red is a bold color reserved only for those with a personality to match. I often associate red with Jessica Rabbit’s memorable entrance in ‘Who Framed Roger Rabbit?’ but no longer should the show-stopping hue be reserved for the Rabbit-esque evening dress. Arguably THE big color for fall, we’re seeing red in everything from denim to leather, and in every shade from maroon to crimson. In a pant, it can be as electric or muted as you like, making picking just one way to wear the trend mission impossible. Herewith a few of my favorites:
- DVF’s Rein Anne Wide Leg Pants in Cranberry worn with a tie-neck blouse is chic for work, and becomes sultry with a loose-fitting embellished camisole for drinks.
- For weekend wear, Theysken’s Theory has created the perfect edgy corduroy’s in their Pepper Flared trousers, to pair with a slouchy T and boyfriend blazer.
- In a skinny jean, burgundy is the perfect incorporation of trend and classic. I love these deep plum skinny jeans from ASOS.
During the long New York winter, a person’s coat is the only indicator one can give to passerby as to their true fashion personality. In some ways, this is a beautiful thing. Running into one’s ex, for example, during the summer, wearing a ratty t-shirt and ancient jeans, makes you want to never leave the house again. During the winter, your fabulous coat is hiding the same unfortunate outfit, making you look fabulous - and “so” over him! The coat, then, becomes the most important purchase of the season, often demanding the purchase of more than one:
- Vince’s Sophie Blanket Coat in Taupe is amazing with leather leggings, and the perfect weight for fall.
- Weekends call for a more casual and comfortable wardrobe, but style needn’t take a back seat. Elizabeth and James’ Military Parka with Fur Trim makes a statement even when paired with jeans and a sweater.
- Mason by Michelle Mason Oversized Car Coat with Leather Sleeves, pared with a chunky knit scarf, skinny jeans and sky-high lace-up ankle boots becomes a laid back and sexy first date outfit.
- I find myself blasting the air conditioner in my apartment just to wear DVF’s Holmes Fringe Poncho. Wearing it with a tough looking motorcycle boot has been one of my favorite looks so far, and over a billowy maxi dress is a close second.
Typically, the words “sexy” and “fashionable are not ones used to describe the sweater– ”bulky” and “shapeless” being more frequent associations. And yet all the evidence needed that sweaters can ratchet up your style quotient as well as keep you warm can be found in these standout pieces.
- Topshop’s Knitted Colour Block Jumper would look outstanding with slouchy skinny jeans and a knee-high boot. Add a jeweled bracelet and printed scarf for an unexpected feminine touch.
- Who say’s bright colors are just for summer? This crew neck Angora sweater from Joseph is perfect for a leather pencil skirt and ankle boots.
- Alexander Wang’s Quilted Sleeve Pullover is a great ‘double duty’ piece. It can be worn as a dress with a pair of thick opaque tights, or over a pair of wide leg pants- just be sure to add height with a super high heel!
- Most office’s keep the temperature somewhere around the Arctic mark, so keeping a sweater on the back of one’s chair is a necessity. Kai Aakmann’s Massive Sweater is stylish yet basic enough to look chic over anything.
During the warmer months, dresses fall into the no-brainer category– the easiest thing to throw on if one is running late and still needs to look put together. In the fall, a dress requires a bit more thought, but with a well edited selection in your closet, dresses can become your go to silhouette year round.
- This swinging dress from ASOS will hide the fact that you’ve let your Pilates mat gather dust. Wear it with everything from a grandpa cardigan to a leather jacket, and accessorize with a statement earring and cocktail ring.
- Sachin + Babi’s Marilyn sleeveless dress mixes leather and chiffon resulting in an item perfect for dinner with the girls. Stack a mix of bangles on you wrist and grab a bright clutch to complete the look.
- For a winter wedding, this Back by Ann-Sofie Back draped long sleeve dress is so stunning you may out-chic the bride. The dress is the focal point here, so accessorize simply with a great earring and a bright shoe.
- Pency Standard‘s collection of super soft clothing makes you feel as if you’re wearing your favorite pajamas all day long. Thankfully, they’ve got quite a bit more style than your footie P.J.s. Their Drape Dress in Navy is perfect for a fur vest and wedges.